The future of higher education
The digital revolution has come with a bang: it has transformed industries, but also brought on a number of opportunities. Almost everything is now possible online, including higher education. While attending lectures at universities full-time is the traditional approach to higher education, nowadays there is more than one way to obtain a degree. Digital Studies are an excellent alternative for many people. Whether you are working, a full-time mom, have a disability that makes it difficult to move freely, or cannot travel for various reasons, distance learning is the best option for you. Digital Studies let you work on your degree while also giving you the chance to focus on other activities. There are many universities that now offer digital programs, so it is helpful, to say the least, to explore this option. Especially now, Covid-19 has forced students all around the world to study online. It is extremely likely that this trend will continue beyond the pandemic, and that Digital Studies will become part of the new norm.
Digital Studies explained: why you should take advantage
By having a personal computer and access to the internet, you are opening the door to a whole new world online. Enrolling at a digital study program makes it possible to study from home or from any place in the world, without having to attend physical lectures at an institution. Generally, distance learning allows you to pursue your dream degree without being tied to a specific location for whatever period of time it is required to finish your studies. Digital Studies are a fairly new way to obtain a university degree, but they are gaining popularity at a rapid speed. Because nowadays virtually everything can be done online - from shopping to paying your taxes - it is also completely in hand's reach to complete a university degree on the internet.
Digital Studies are something we all need
The world around us is evolving. Life in the 21st century is fast-paced and the digital transformation requires adaptation. Everyone has places to go and things to do, which are sometimes incompatible and leave us needing more than 24 hours in a day. Digital Studies have emerged as a response to the ever-changing everyday life in today's reality. Attending full-time lectures at higher education institutions is a luxury not everyone can afford. While the typical student on-campus experience is still preferred by many candidates, for some it is simply not an option. There are many reasons for deciding to do a virtual degree, all of which are valid. No matter the motive, Digital Studies offer an amount of comfort that is not possible with any other degree.
A virtual degree in three simple steps
After choosing the ideal degree course for you using our Interests Test, which is a difficult decision in itself, it is time to look for a suitable university. There are many institutions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland which offer Digital Studies, so finding one will not be a challenge.
Once you have settled on the "place" (in reality, it is a virtual lecture hall), it is time to begin the learning process. Programs vary depending on the university and field of study, but they are generally executed in a similar way. Digital Studies are usually based on self-study which means that students learn by themselves rather than among peers. Students usually receive the necessary learning materials either printed or as digital documents. There are different forms of learning which students adapt during the course of their study. The most common include:
- interactive, personalized tasks
- web or video conferences
- multimedia activities
- presentations and projects on relevant topics
- chats with peers to exchange knowledge
- personal support from tutors and more.
Where to study online
Nowadays, there are many higher education institutions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland offering digital study programs across a number of fields and disciplines. Some excellent examples include the University of Bonn, the Free University of Berlin, the Geneva Business School, RWTH Aachen University, University of Applied Sciences Europe, University of Kaiserslautern, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management and many more. The possibilities are seemingly endless, so you will have no problem finding the right online program for you.
Blended Learning: a way to combine the virtual with reality
Wenn weder der Besuch von Vorlesungen in Vollzeit noch das vollständige Heimstudium eine zufriedenstellende Option für Dich ist, dann gibt es noch eine dritte, die der perfekte Mittelweg ist: das Blended Learning. Hierbei handelt es sich um eine Methode, anhand derer Du Online-Vorlesungen mit periodischen echten Unterrichtsbesuchen, welche ein Gefühl des Hochschulebens verleihen, verbinden kannst. Besonders popular ist dieses Programm für Bachelor-Absolventen, die ihr Master-Studium beginnen möchten, da es ihnen ermöglicht, neben dem Studium Berufserfahrungen zu sammeln. Die Pädagogische Hochschule Ludwigsburg ist eine unter vielen anderen Hochschulen, die die attraktive Option des Blended Learning anbieten.
Eight most popular digital programs
Some academic disciplines are especially inclined to the digital field, while others can be studied both online and on campus. There are certain programs that are extremely popular with students online, so it is insightful to find out what they are.
1. Management Management with all of its subdivisions, including Agricultural Management, International Business Management, Sport & Event Management, Arts & Cultural Management, Media Management, Tourism Management and more, is one of the most popular online courses among students. Providing understanding of how business in a specific industry operates, studying Management digitally will endow you with the same problem-solving and decision-making skills that can be obtained when attending lectures at university.
2. Psychology If you have your sights set on Psychology, it is more than possible to study it online. Higher education institutions offer in-depth digital Psychology programs that provide students with methodological and content expertise in the field. By obtaining a degree in Psychology online, you are sure to receive the right qualifications needed to work in the industry.
3. Economics An Economics degree is extremely versatile and interdisciplinary. It encompasses subjects from the fields of Math, Politics, Computer Science, Sociology, Culture, and Public Policy. Online programs in Economics offer great flexibility and myriad career options for students. It is no wonder that many candidates are choosing to pursue a digital degree in Economics.
4. Communication A degree in Communication opens the door to a number of rewarding career opportunities. Depending on the specific focus of the program, students can specialize in news writing, public speaking, journalism, public relations, advertising and more. Studying Communication digitally provides the same experience for students as studying in person does with the benefit of not being tied down to one place for whatever number of years necessary to graduate.
5. Computer Science One of the most logical choices for students looking to pursue a digital degree is Computer Science. With the whole focus of the study being on digital technology, students can gain the valuable professional skills in design, programming, technical support and more, by studying online. Even in the lecture hall, many of the assignments are done with the help of technology, so an online degree in Computer Science poses no challenge for education.
6. Accounting Similarly to Economics, a digital degree in Accounting offers students a lot of freedom while giving them valuable tools to deal with everyday situations in their future work. Accounting as a field is shifting more and more towards the digital sector, so it is now more important than ever for students to adapt to the changes while pursuing their degree.
7. Education Education in the 21st century is evolving and expanding. Not only universities but also schools and early educational facilities are incorporating digital technology into the study process. Gaining a degree in Education digitally gives students the option to get a head start in the field with broad experience in online learning.
8. Design Design in its many forms, including Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Landscape Design, Interior Design and Fashion Design, is a perfect fit for online education. By learning all the essentials virtually, students have enough time to focus on practical projects that are vital in the field. What is more, students have the opportunity to use the advantages of digital technology even more than their peers studying on campus.
Digital degrees are expanding and evolving more than ever before. Spanning across sectors and industries, it is now possible to study online in a number of fields. However, there are still some that remain unreachable by digital technology.
Digital Studies have their limits. Here is what they are
Although Digital Studies are an innovative and convenient way to obtain a university degree, there are certain hurdles they cannot overcome. While higher education institutions offer online programs in a number of fields, there are still some that cannot be learned online. Such examples include Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Microbiology and other disciplines which require hands-on practical lessons and real-life experience. That is precisely why it is important to determine exactly what you are going to study before looking into the option of Digital Studies. Online courses can also be costly in comparison to the free tuition of regular ones. Another limitation can be possible technical problems. To successfully complete a digital degree, you need a strong internet connection, reliable personal computer and easy access to any platforms where classes are carried out. So, if you are planning on studying online, those are worth investing in. That being said, there is definitely a long list of advantages which Digital Studies can provide.
Online learning has benefits like no other form of studying
Despite its setbacks, online learning has a number of pluses in comparison with the traditional form of studying at universities. For starters, one of its biggest advantages is the flexibility it offers students. You are free to do your assignments whenever and wherever you find convenient while, of course, adhering to the deadlines. Digital Studies give you the opportunity to combine a full-time job with studying for a university degree. Studying online gives you more time to juggle between work, a degree and personal life. What is more, distance learning is more inclusive than any other form of program. It is an alternative primarily intended for those whose personal circumstances prevent them from studying full-time. Because you are not tied to a specific location, you can actually obtain your dream degree without leaving your home. The financial side of the process is also worth exploring: you do not have to travel or look for a place to rent, so you will save a lot of money by studying online. If now you are even more convinced that Digital Studies are the way forward for you, you should become aware of the enrollment process and application requirements.
Applying for a digital degree is easy
Although the specific requirements and application process may vary depending on the specific higher education institution, there is a standard procedure when applying for Digital Studies. Generally, candidates can apply online via the specific university's platform. What is most important is that you adhere to the deadlines. Depending on the language the program is taught in (most commonly English, as online courses have strong international orientation), you may be asked to present a language certificate. A relevant high school degree is also necessary to prove eligibility. For Master's programs, candidates must send in their Bachelor's university degrees with at least six semesters completed. If there are any other specific requirements, such as aptitude tests and admission interviews, they will be mentioned on the university's web page. Applying for Digital Studies is similar to, but a lot easier than, the application process for the traditional form of study. It also takes significantly less time, because everything is managed and processed digitally.
Why you should choose a German, Austrian or Swiss university
A big part of the history of education takes place in Germany. The country has always been a center of knowledge and a top destination for higher education. Not only natives but also people from all around the world choose to pursue a degree there. The same quality of higher education that is offered at the universities in the country is now available online. Austria is another country with high-quality education and state-of-the-art research. It offers students many opportunities that are not available anywhere else. If you want all of the benefits of studying at an Austrian university but do not have the ability to go to one, studying online is the perfect solution for you. Switzerland has been ranked as having the best education in the world by the World Economic Forum, so it does not need much advertisement. The country is home to some of Europe's most renowned higher education institutions, so you will not be disappointed by the education you receive at any one of them through a digital study program. Although Digital Studies have grown in popularity, there is still some prejudice, especially when it comes to the outcome of the programs. However, the question of whether an online degree will be sufficient to get you your dream job should no longer be a worry. Here is why:
A digital degree opens the door to professional success
Digital study programs are especially developed by skilled professionals to give students the same skills and qualifications they can obtain while attending on-campus lectures. Such programs are designed to prepare students for their dream job in their respective fields. Through the targeted materials for self-study, online lectures, video podcasts, exercises for monitoring the learning process, virtual working groups, course forums and chat rooms, students can gain the most from the study program. What is more, potential employers do not see Digital Studies as something not up to the same standards of traditional higher education. On the contrary, studying online demonstrates self-discipline and great motivation, because it serves as proof that you can multitask and handle both work and studying at the same time. Degrees that are earned online can work in the job seeker's favor. They showcase a candidate's work ethic and dedication to self-development. Online degrees are by no means easier than on-campus programs. So, Digital Studies are not only a valid option for anyone pursuing a university degree, but also a big part of the future of higher education in a world that is turning digital.